Tuesday, November 13, 2012

And God Smiled

We made a plan, to start trying in the middle of October.

God saw our plan and smiled, and blessed us with a baby.

Our first time trying, my husband and I successfully got pregnant.  I cannot express how elated and relieved I am that we did not have any issues getting pregnant.  At this point, I am 5 weeks, and am very very happy to say that Baby Milam is expected to be here around July 18, 2013.

I am already feeling the pregnancy symptoms - some soreness, my breasts feel a bit larger and sore.  There's a pressure in my lower abdomen, and I feel like my stomach is already larger.  Stomach gets a bit unhappy at times but no morning sickness yet.  I have cravings occasionally  but I believe they are normal fat kid cravings and cannot be attributed to the pregnancy. :)

According to The Bump, my baby is about the size of an apple seed at this point.  We have an appointment with my OB/GYN in 2 weeks, so hopefully we can get a good view of our little gift from heaven.  Also, twins seem to run in my husband's family, skipping generations, so we'll get to find out exactly how many Milams are in there!!

As mentioned in my last post, we had went away for a week and a half to Ireland and I knew my period was supposed to start then.  Knowing this, and thinking how fantastic it would be to tell my husband that we're pregnant at some poignant location in Ireland, I brought the pregnancy test with me.  My period should have started Monday, and hadn't started by Tuesday night.  Tuesday I felt a pressure in my stomach that I just attributed to eating too much (as one does on vacation) and tried not to get my hopes up.

Well Tuesday night into Wednesday morning I had a dream in which at one point a girlfriend of mine walked up to me and put her arm around me.  She turned to me and asked me "are you pregnant?".  I told her "no, but we're trying".  In which she replied, "I think you're pregnant, because you're getting fat".  Lovely sentiment, yes?  But I woke up Wednesday morning in our hotel with again, no period.  I felt the need to take the test but was nervous beyond belief.  What is there to be nervous about?  It would be fantastic if we were pregnant!  But why was I so scared to pee on a stick?  I stood in the bathroom debating, should I take it or no.  I paced, I debated, I tried to go back to bed.  What if my husband awoke and found out what I was doing?  Again - he would have been thrilled to find out that we were pregnant, but I didn't want him to find out that way.

I finally convinced myself to take the test.  I walked into the bathroom and picked up the bag in which the box of pregnancy tests were in - I heard my husband shuffle in bed, so I quickly dropped the box and peered out the door to see if he was waking up.  No?  Okay.
I go back to the bag, unzip the zipper.  Husband makes a noise.  I quickly zip the bag back up and peer out the door.  Still sleeping.
Repeat where I get the box out of the bag, shove it back in again when I think I hear him waking up.
I get the test in my hands and have to shove it all back in again when I think I hear him waking up...
needless to say this process took more than the 3 minutes they say it should.

I did my business on the stick as the instructions stated, sat it on the back of the toilet and started to count.  I could already see two lines.  I walked out of the bathroom to go change clothes and not torture myself watching a stick for 3 minutes.  After the time had elapsed, I went back in.  2 pink lines = pregnant.  Shock kicks in.

Unsure of what to do now knowing this boulder of information, I just got back in bed and snuggled up to my husband.  After he finally woke up and we laid there talking, I told him that I took the test.  "what did it say?"  I told him "it said we're pregnant". "REALLY?!?"  It wasn't the magical moment overlooking the Cliffs of Moher that I initially had planned, but it was perfect the way it was.

So to the apple-seed inside my belly, we're really really ecstatic that you're here.  And we pray that you're healthy and can't wait to see you in 2 weeks.  And boy oh boy will your grandparents be excited when we tell them on Thanksgiving about your existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment